Thursday, August 12, 2010

Five-Year-Old Fears

I know I haven’t been writing for some time, and probably will be quiet for at least another month or so. We’re expecting our fourth baby any day now and I am slowly chipping away at a long to-do list and several challenging projects, but in a non-stressful and trust-in-Allah (swt) way.

I wanted, however, to share a few thoughts and happenings while they are still fresh in my mind, so I may come here to post intermittently in the next few weeks.

My five-year-old recently made the most interesting proclamation.

“Mama, there are two things I am so, so, so, SO afraid of.”

“What are they?” I was expecting a deep confession.

“Onions and Elevators.”

And then she took a deep breath and launched into a dramatic, aggrandized monologue.

“Onions because they hurt my eyes and you ALWAYS cut onions at the table and we have to run away. And they hurt my eyes so, so, SO much. And I’m also afraid that the elevator doors will close on Noor. I am so, so, SO afraid of the elevators. They open and close SO fast and we never know what button to press. And we might press the wrong floor sometimes and Noor might get out when it’s not the right time…”

Onions and elevators. Reminds me of a Shel Silverstein poem. Only a child could have thought of such a pair!

3 comments:

  1. As-salamu alaykum wa Ramadan Mubarak.


    First, mubarak on your 4th pregnancy. May Allah give you strength, patience and healthy birth. Ameen.

    Second, "from the mouth of babes" as my mom always said. May Allah have mercy on her.

    Third, I have 3 girls too, 10, 9 & 7 yo. May we educate, provide, and lead them righteously as perscribed by our beloved Prophet (salalahi alayhi wa salam) as they provide us with entrance to jennah. Ameen.

    Last, nice to e-meet. I look forward to getting to know you better, inshaAllah.

    ReplyDelete